Visionary Benefactor Charles Schaefer, Jr. Helped Create Athletics Center, Engineering School
Nine departments and 50 academic programs strong, with an intensive curriculum for undergrads and master’s and doctoral candidates, the Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. School of Engineering & Science (SES) has built a global reputation for its exceptional faculty and advanced research facilities. As Stevens’ flagship school, SES is committed to preparing the next generation of leaders to solve the challenges of tomorrow.
The school was named for alumnus and visionary benefactor Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. ’36 (1914-1999), a former chair of the Stevens Board of Trustees, in 1996. The honor capped a four-year, $102 million capital campaign, of which Schaefer had been co-chair.
Born in Brooklyn and raised in Queens, Schaefer attended public schools before earning a degree in mechanical engineering from Stevens. He worked as a plant manager for the De Laval Steam Turbine Company in Trenton, New Jersey, and later owned several other New Jersey-based manufacturing firms. He also served as the chair of Schaefer Associates, an investment firm.
Among his many generous contributions to his alma mater were the creation of the Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. Fund for Excellence, which supports annual named awards to deserving students and alumni; the founding of what is now the Stevens Parents Council; and the funding of the Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. Athletic and Recreation Center in 1994.