Through the Years

Starting with "America's First Family of Inventors," the people of Stevens have advanced engineering and technology in countless ways. Scroll below to discover some highlights of our first 150 years.

1870-1899
1870
EAS building and Stevens Park, late 19th century

Stevens Institute of Technology Established

The university is officially established through an Act of Incorporation. February 15th is now known as Founder’s Day.

1871

First Day of Class

First day of class for students. The initial student body had 21 students led by eight faculty members. 

Robert Thurston

First Professor of Mechanical Engineering Selected

Robert H. Thurston is chosen as the first professor of mechanical engineering. 

1872
Stevens football team
1872

First Varsity Football Team Forms

Stevens participated in the Intercollegiate Football Association with Columbia University, New York University, Rutgers University, City College of New York, and others. 

1872

The Stevens School is Established

The Stevens School, a preparatory high school, is established in 1872. Classes were first held in the east wing of the Institute Building, now the Edwin A. Stevens Hall building. 

1873
1873

First Class Graduates

Stevens graduates its first class, which consists of a single student, J. Augustus Henderson. Henderson became the first person in the United States to receive the legal degree of Mechanical Engineer. 

Baseball player from early 20th century
1873

First Baseball Team Organizes

Stevens glee club members

Stevens Glee Club Founded

The club was officially recognized as a student group in 1880. 

Athletic Association Forms

Samuel D. Graydon, class of 1875, serves as its first president. 

1874
The Eccentric cover

The Eccentric Releases First Volume

The Eccentric, the first Stevens yearbook, releases its first volume. 

First Fraternity Establishes

The Gamma Chapter of Theta Xi was the first fraternity founded at Stevens. It was granted its charter at the 10th Annual National Convention of the fraternity on February 20, 1874.

1876

First Student Organization Forms

The Rumford Society, the first non-Greek student organization, is formed on campus. Named in honor of Count Rumford, the group met on Wednesday evenings to review and discuss scientific papers and related topics. Membership to the Rumford Society was extended to Stevens faculty members. 

Alumni Association invitation

Stevens Alumni Association Organized

Representatives from the classes of '74 '75 and '76 met on July 1, 1876 and proceeded to elect the association's first chairman, William Hewitt '74. Theodore F. Koezly '75 was elected as secretary. The Stevens Alumni Association remains active today with over 40,000 members across the globe. 

1879
1879

Beta Theta Pi Fraternity Established

Beta Theta Pi fraternity established at Stevens. 

1880
Portrait of John Lieb

John W. Lieb Graduates

John W. Lieb graduates from Stevens and goes on to work with Thomas Edison. Lieb became the first manager and chief electrician of the Pearl Street central generating system in Lower Manhattan. By 1882, Lieb was in charge of the construction of the first central electric station in Europe. 

Hall in EAS building with Chairs

First Meeting of the ASME Held

The first meeting of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers is held in Edwin A. Stevens Hall. Robert H. Thurston, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, serves as its first president.

1883

Chi Psi Fraternity Chapter Established

1884
1885
Lacrosse team
1885

Intercollegiate Lacrosse Program Started

The first Intercollegiate lacrosse program is started at Stevens. It is the oldest continuously running lacrosse program in the country.

1887

Stevens Engineering Society Formed

The Stevens Engineering Society was the first student chapter of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). 

1888

First Mention of Organized Fencing Team

First mention of an organized fencing team on campus, the “Class of 1889 Fencing Club.”

Cannon on Castle POint
1888

Iconic Cannon Unearthed

The cannon was uncovered by the Stevens family in 1888 as the Colonnade Hotel was being demolished to make way for Elysian Park.

1890
The Link cover
1890

The Formation of The Link

The Bolt and The Eccentric agree to consolidate and form The Link, which gets its name from the “linking” of the two rival yearbooks. The Link currently serves as the yearbook for the Stevens community.

1891
Andrew Carnegie
1891

Andrew Carnegie Joins the Board of Trustees

Noted businessman and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, joins the Stevens Board of Trustees. Carnegie served on the BoT until his death in 1919.

1896

Engineering Honorary Society Chapter Forms

Tau Beta Pi, the engineering honorary society, establishes a chapter at Stevens.

1899
1899

Phi Sigma Kappa Chapter Established

1900-1919
1900
Sigma Nu postcard
1900

Sigma Nu Chapter Establishes

The Gamma Delta chapter of Sigma Nu establishes on campus. 

1901
1901

President Henry Morton Fundraises for Electricity and Steam

President Henry Morton raises money for a power station to supply electricity and steam to all campus buildings.

1901

First Alumni Banquet Held

First annual Alumni Banquet held at the Manhattan Hotel in New York City. 

1902
Alexander Humphreys
1902

Alexander C. Humphreys Named Second President of Stevens

Alexander C. Humphreys becomes the second President of Stevens. Humphreys served from 1902-1927.

Carnegie Building
1902

Carnegie Laboratory of Engineering Building Opened

Named after Andrew Carnegie, who later endowed the building with gifts totaling $275,000. The building's architect was William Ackerman, Stevens Class of 1891.

1903
1903

Department of Business Engineering Established

The Department of Business Engineers was one of the first programs in the country devoted to engineering management. 

1904
1904

Campus Expanded

Stevens acquires seven acres of land from the Stevens Estate. The land is the present day location of the Charles V. Schaefer Athletic Center, DeBaun Athletic Complex, Morton, Peirce, and Kidde Buildings, Walker Gymnasium, and Harvey N. Davis Hall.

The Stute

First Issue of The Stute Published

First issue of the student newspaper, The Stute, is published.

1905
Men's Tennis team
1905

Tennis Team Forms

The first games are played at the nearby St. George's Cricket Grounds in Hoboken.

1906
1906

Completion of the Morton Memorial Laboratory of Chemistry

The building was constructed with funds from former President Morton and money raised through the Alumni Building Fund.

Alan Hazeltine
1906

Alan L. Hazeltine Graduates

Alan L. Hazeltine was the inventor of the Neutrodyne radio receiver (invented in 1922 at Stevens), and long-time Stevens faculty member.

1907
Enid
1907

Enid May Hawkins Hired as First Librarian

Enid May Hawkins is hired as the university's first professional librarian. Under her direction, Hawkins helped change the Library’s reputation from “a dingy old den” to the “central nervous system for research and study on campus,” according to a 1948 article in The Stute.

President Humpreys Digging Dirt
1907

Castle Point Field Built

Castle Point Field, the original athletic field on campus, consisted of a track, a grandstand and field house.

Delta Tau Delta Fraternity House Constructed

Built on a plot of land given to the chapter by Edwin A. Stevens, Jr., grandson of the founder of Stevens Institute and member of the Rho chapter of Delta Tau Delta. The architect was W. O. Ludlow, Stevens class of 1892.

1908
Alumni Day 2011 Stevens

First Alumni Day Held

1908

Honor System Formally Adopted

Student Self-Government Constitution Adopted by Administration

Student Self-Government Constitution adopted by administration, faculty and students. Honor system now applies to all classroom work, not just examinations.

1909
1909

Varsity Track Program Established

1910
Castle Stevens
1910

Stevens Purchases Castle Stevens

Stevens Institute purchases Castle Stevens property and four surrounding acres of land from Edwin A. Stevens. Castle is later used as a dormitory, dining hall, and campus social center.

Stevens Dramatic Society Holds First Meeting

Stevens Dramatic Society holds first meeting to elect officers.

1912

Student Council Formed

Later in 1997, the Student Council became the Student Government Association. 

1913
1913

The New York Times Publishes Cover Feature on Stevens

The New York Times has a cover feature on Stevens and the degree of Mechanical Engineer.

1915

First Stevens Man Killed in Action During World War I

Lt. Ernest John Munby, class of 1897, becomes first Stevens man killed in action during World War I. Munby was an Englishman who volunteered for active service in 1914 and received his commission in the Royal Engineers.

1916
Architectural rendering of Stevens campus
1916

Walker Gymnasium Completed

Completion of William Hall Walker Gymnasium, designed by Ludlow & Peabody architectural firm. 

Interfraternity Council Founded

The council acted as the coordinating and governing body of the national fraternities on campus.

1916

Basketball Becomes a Varsity Sport

1918
1918

Stevens Placed Under Control of the War Department

During WW1, Stevens was placed under control of the War Department. An Army Section of the Students Army Training Corps, as well as a Navy Unit for the Steam Engineering School, was established on campus. The Steam Engineering School closed on June, 1919.

1919
Alexander Calder
1919

Alexander Calder Graduates

Alexander Calder graduates from Stevens with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Gear and Triangle Society

Gear and Triangle Honor Society Formed

Gear and Triangle Honor Society formed as a  “Non-secret honorary society founded on the principle that Honor, Fellowship, Spirit, and Active Loyalty are essential qualities of the true Stevens man and successful engineer.”

1920-1949
1921
1921

The Stone Mill is Published

The Stone Mill, a student-run comic/literary magazine first published.

1921

Castle Stevens Club Organized

Castle Stevens Club formed “by the men living at the old Stevens mansion, for the purpose of promoting good fellowship and fostering a spirit of congeniality and helpfulness at the ‘dorms.’”

1922

Stevens Chapter of Pi Delta Epsilon Established on Campus

Stevens chapter of Pi Delta Epsilon, National Honorary Collegiate Journalist Society is established.

1923
1923

Human Engineering Lab Established

Headed by noted psychologist Johnson O’Connor, the Human Engineering Lab was the forerunner to the Laboratory of Psychological Studies, established at Stevens in 1945 (under the direction of Frederick Gaudet).

1924
Randolph Montrose Smith
1924

Randolph Montrose Smith Becomes the First African-American Graduate

Randolph Montrose Smith becomes the first African American to graduate from Stevens. 

1925
1925

Football Abolished

Football abolished as an intercollegiate sport at Stevens by the actions of President Humphreys and the Stevens Board of Trustees. A mock funeral for the sport was held on Alumni Day, 1926.

1926
1926

Alpha Kappa Pi Fraternity Chapter Established

1928
Dr. Harvey Davis

Dr. Harvey Davis Becomes the Third President of Stevens

Dr. Harvey Davis becomes the third President of Stevens Institute of Technology. During his inaugural ceremony on November 22, 1928, a replica of the Stevens (John Bull) locomotive was gifted to the school and outfitted to run on a circular track on campus during the festivities.

1929
1929

Hoxie House Built

Hoxie House built as a residence for the school’s president, as a gift of William D. Hoxie ‘89.  Hoxie House still serves as the residence of Stevens presidents. 

1930
1930

First Graduate Courses Offered

Courses in Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Organic Chemistry, and Physical Chemistry were offered, leading to a Master of Science degree.

1931
Freshman wearing hats
1931

Freshman Dink Tradition Started

The tradition of freshmen wearing "dinks" first started in 1931, but later abandoned in 1969. 

1932

The John W. Lieb Memorial Collection of Leonardo da Vinci is presented to Stevens

The John W. Lieb Memorial Collection of Leonardo da Vinci is presented to Stevens by businessman, Samuel Insull. The collection comprises a number of rare books, facsimiles, and prints on the life of Leonardo da Vinci that were collected by John W. Lieb throughout his life. 

1935

Experimental Towing Tank #1 is Completed

Experimental Towing Tank #1 is completed and housed in the Navy Building as a laboratory and research center for the use of scale model experiments in the analysis of propulsion and resistance characteristics in marine vessels. The program was renamed the Davidson Laboratory in 1959 in honor of its founder, Kenneth Davidson.

1937
1937

Construction of Palmer Hall Completed

Palmer Hall dormitory was completed in 1937. The dormitory accommodated 86 students.

Three men in front of Jacobus sign
1937

Jacobus Hall Dormitory and Social Center Completed

Jacobus Hall, a social center and dormitory building, was given to the College by William Slocum Barstow in tribute to the services of his friend, Professor Jacobus. Dr. David Schenck Jacobus served in the faculty for more than twenty years and also sat on the Board of Trustees. 

1938
1938

Graduate Courses Offered to Women

For the first time, women take graduate classes at Stevens. Additionally, graduate classes are offered in the evening for the first time. 

1940
1940

War Industries Training School Formed

War Industries Training School formed under direction of U.S. Office of Education. Later, it became the Industries Training School in 1945.

1942
1942

Women Admitted into the War Industries Training School

Women admitted into the War Industries Training School at Stevens, a federal program that provided accelerated education for those entering the fields of science and engineering

1943
1943

Start of Navy College Training Program (V-12 Program)

The V-12 program was a national program run by the Navy at 131 U.S. colleges and universities. Stevens’ V-12ers were sworn in to the Navy, took their regular Stevens’ courses and required Navy courses, all paid for by the Navy, and graduated in only two years and eight months. 

1947
Emmi Fischl teaching
1947

Emmi Fischl Becomes First Woman Professor

Emmi Fischl became the first woman professor at Stevens. Fischl taught in the Department of Physics.

1949
1949

AFROTC Established

Air Force Reserve Officers Training Corps established at Stevens. Additionally, the Department of Air Science and Tactics establishes the same fall. It was later changed to the Department of Aerospace Studies.

Beatrice Hicks
1949

Beatrice Hicks Awarded Graduate Degree

Beatrice Hicks (co-founder and first president of the Society of Women Engineers), graduates from Stevens with a M.S. degree.

1950-1979
1951
Dr. Jess Davis
1951

Dr. Jess H. Davis becomes the Fourth President of Stevens

Dr. Jess H. Davis becomes the fourth President of Stevens. Dr. Davis served from 1951-1971.

1956

Hayden Hall Dormitory Built

Hayden Hall dormitory built through gift of the Charles Hayden Foundation. The dormitory housed 137 students. It was renovated in 1989 and demolished in 2019.

1958
Burchard Building Construction
1958

Burchard Memorial Science and Engineering Building Completed

Burchard Memorial Science and Engineering Building completed. It housed the departments of Electrical Engineering, Metallurgy and Physics.

1959
1959

Inter-Dormitory Council Formed

Inter-Dormitory Council formed, “where elected student representatives would assume responsibility for all social life in the dormitories". 

1959

Castle Stevens Demolished

Castle Stevens demolished to make room for new Stevens Center Building (now the Wesley J. Howe Center).

First Campus Radio Station Goes on the Air

WSRN (first campus radio station) first goes on the air at 730 730 kHz.

1961
1961

Davis Hall Built

Davis Hall built as an undergraduate dormitory housing 222 students.

Latin American club members
1961

Latin American Association Organized

The Latin American Association first organized in 1961. The organization was recognized by the Student Council as an official student organization in 1962.

1961

Humphreys Hall Built

Humphreys Hall built as an undergraduate dormitory housing 171 students.

1962
Howe Building construction
1962

Stevens Center is Built

The 14-story Stevens Center is built. It was later renamed the Wesley J. Howe Center in 1996.

1964
Torchbearer

The Torch Bearers Presented to Stevens

In April 1964, famed sculptor Anna Hyatt Huntington presented her 3,400 pound, cast-aluminum sculpture, “The Torch Bearers” to Stevens. 

1965
1965

The Graduate Residence Hall Built

The Graduate Residence Hall is built, but later renamed Castle Point Hall. 

1967
Students running the DJ booth at Castle Point Radio
1967

WSRN Becomes WCPR Castle Point Radio

WSRN becomes WCPR, the current campus radio station. Initially housed in the Wesley J. Howe Center (Stevens Center).

SS Stevens
1967

S.S. Stevens Becomes Country's First Floating Dormitory

S.S. Stevens, purchased in June 1967, is converted for use as the country’s first “floating dormitory.” The ship, formerly the luxury cruise liner, Exochorda, was converted at the Bethlehem Steel Co. shipyards in Hoboken and used as a dormitory for upperclassmen.

1968
SC Williams Library

Samuel C. Williams Library and Computer Center Opens

It was formally dedicated on Alumni Day, May 17, 1969.

Students at desks circa 1977
1968

Formation of STEP

The Stevens Technical Enrichment Program (STEP) was created to “expand access to engineering and science to minorities”, and thus help increase the pool of underrepresented students in these fields. It was one of the first programs of its kind in the country. 

1971
A woman student sits amongst several male students.
1971

First Women Students Admitted to Stevens

Stevens admits the first 19 women undergraduates and officially incorporates coeducation at Stevens.

1972
Attila the Duck
1972

Attila the Duck Officially Named as Mascot

Attila the Duck officially named as mascot. 

Kenneth Rogers
1972

Dr. Kenneth Rogers Becomes the Fifth President of Stevens

Dr. Kenneth Rogers becomes the fifth President of Stevens. Served from 1972-1987.

1973
1973

Earl L. Griffith Building Constructed

The building housed the Buildings and Grounds department. It is the current site for the Stevens Physical Plant. 

1974
Womens Fencing team in 1978
1974

Fencing Becomes the First Women’s Varsity Sport at Stevens

Led by coach Linda Vollkommer-Lynch, fencing became the first women's varsity sport at Stevens. Linda continues to coach women's fencing today. 

Lenore Schupak

Lenore Schupak Becomes First Woman to Receive Undergraduate Degree

Lenore Schupak became the first woman to earn an undergraduate degree from Stevens. Lenore was among the first 18 women admitted to the university in 1971 and completed her studies in just three years.

1975
1976
1976

Society of Women Engineers Chapter Established

Established in the spring of 1976 with 19 members, the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) officially chartered the following fall with 30 members – almost the entire female student body. Over 40 years later, the organization continues to empowers women at Stevens to advance in the field of engineering. 

1978
Sheila Banks in a commencement gown.
1978

Sheila Banks Becomes the First African-American Woman To Graduate

Sheila Banks becomes the first African-American woman to graduate from Stevens.

1980-Present
1981
Duck Lips
1981

Duck Lips Publishes First Issue

Duck Lips, a humor magazine, publishes its first issue. 

1982
1982

Technology Hall is Built

Technology Hall (later dedicated as Jonas Hall) is built. Jonas Hall continues to house students and is currently the largest residence hall on campus. 

First Sorority Established on Campus

Delta Zeta chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma sorority is established at Stevens. It was the first sorority at Stevens. 

1983
Students sitting at a table with a beer
1983

The “Rathskeller” in the Howe Center is Renamed

The “Rathskeller” in the Howe Center ceases to serve alcohol and is renamed Colonel John’s Emporium. 

1984
1985
1986
1986

The Stevens Cooperative Education Program is Established

The university establishes the Stevens Cooperative Education Program (Co-op), a five-year program that provides engineering and science students with the opportunity to alternate between semesters of full-time work and full-time study in areas related to the their academic major and career interests. 

1988
1988

CIESE Program Established

CIESE (Center for Improved Engineering and Science Engineering) program established to help schools integrate technology into their classrooms.

1988

The Design & Manufacturing Institute is Created

Housed in the Carnegie Building, The Design & Manufacturing Institute opens. The research and development center focuses on realizing cost-effective and high performance products and systems with cross-disciplinary research spanning knowledge-based design, advanced materials and manufacturing process sciences, and intelligent systems integration technologies. 

Harold Raveche
1988

Harold J. Raveche Becomes the Sixth President of Stevens

Harold J. Raveche becomes the sixth president of Stevens. Raveche served as university president until 2010. 

1988

Ethnic Student Council Formed

Ethnic Student Council formed “in the interest of promoting the growth of Stevens’ ethnic clubs such as the Latin American Association, Chinese Student Association, Black Student Union, Indian Undergraduate Association, and others.”

1989
1989

Strategic Plan Released

The Stevens Goals and Strategic Plan: Grand Challenges for the 21st Century is released.

1991
Panhellenic Council
1991

Panhellenic Council Forms

The Stevens Panhellenic Council forms and serves as the governing body for sororities on campus. 

1992
1992

James C. Nicoll, Jr. Environmental Laboratory Constructed

James C. Nicoll, Jr. Environmental Laboratory constructed

1992

James C. Nicoll, Jr. Environmental Laboratory Constructed

James C. Nicoll, Jr. Environmental Laboratory constructed.

1993
Interior of Schaefer Athletic and Recreation Center
1993

Charles V. Schaefer Athletic and Recreation Center Constructed

Charles V. Schaefer Athletic and Recreation Center constructed.

1994
1994

Stevens Anime Club is Formed

The Stevens Anime Club established as student group. Since 2008, the club has produced Castle Point Anime Convention (CPAC), an annual event that attracts anime fans from across the nation. 

1995
1995

First UNITY Event Held on Campus

First annual UNITY event held by the Ethnic Student Council, in which ethnic and multicultural organizations participate  to highlight and celebrate their rich diversity and culture for the entire Stevens community. It has become an annual campus event and is now known as the UNITY Showcase and Carnival. 

1995

Spire Added to Edwin A. Stevens Hall

The 40 ft. spire was added to the building for the 125th anniversary of Stevens. 

1996
1996

Addition of Three New Schools

The Board of Trustees creates three schools at Stevens, the Schaefer School of Engineering, the School of Technology Management, and the School of Applied Sciences and Liberal Arts.

1997

The School of Technology Management and Marketing is Renamed

The School of Technology Management and Marketing is renamed the Wesley J. Howe School of Technology Management, dedicated in honor of Wesley J. Howe (’43, M.S. ’53, Hon. D Eng. ’81)

1998
Debaun Auditorium
1998

Opening of DeBaun Auditorium in Edwin A. Stevens Hall

Opening of DeBaun Auditorium in Edwin A. Stevens Hall.

1999
Lore-El

Lore-El Center for Women’s Leadership is Dedicated

Lore-El Center for Women’s Leadership is dedicated in honor of Lore E. Feiler.

2000

Vincent A. Rocco ’67 Technology Center is Dedicated

Vincent A. Rocco ’67 Technology Center is dedicated.

2000

Launch of Stevens WebCampus

Stevens “WebCampus” enters the online learning space and quickly becomes a leader in distance education, winning multiple awards of excellence from the U.S. Distance Learning Association. 

2001
Babbio Center
2001

The Lawrence T. Babbio Jr. Center for Technology Management Opens

The Lawrence T. Babbio Jr. Center for Technology Management opens. Dedicated in honor of Lawrence Babbio ‘66 in 2005.

2005
2005

Center for Science Writings Established

The Center for Science Writing was created to draw attention to writings, from books to blogs, that shape public perceptions of science. The Center sponsors free, public events at which prominent writers such as journalists, scientists, engineers, philosophers and other scholars visit Stevens to discuss science-related issues.

2007
2007

School of Systems and Enterprises is Established

School of Systems and Enterprises is established.

2007

Schaefer School of Engineering is Renamed

Schaefer School of Engineering is renamed the Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. School of Engineering and Science.

2007

The College of Arts and Letters Established

The Arthur E. Imperatore School of Sciences and Arts is replaced by the College of Arts and Letters. 

2008
Russ Rogers Presented with ECAC

Stevens Named 2008 Eastern College Athletic Conference Institution of the Year

Stevens is named the 2008 ECAC Jostens’ Institution of the Year, an award presented annually to the ECAC institution that best exemplifies the highest standards of collegiate academics and athletic performance. 

2009
2011
2011

The Kenneth J. Altorfer Academic Complex is Constructed

The Kenneth J. Altorfer Academic Complex is constructed.

Nariman Farvardin

Dr. Nariman Farvardin Takes Office as the Seventh President of Stevens

Dr. Nariman Farvardin takes office as the seventh President of Stevens Institute of Technology.

2012
2012

Strategic Plan Launched

Launched in 2012, the University's 10-year strategic plan, entitled, The Future. Ours to Create., charted a course for Stevens to become a premier, student-centric, technological research university.

Hanlon in the Hanlon Lab
2012

Hanlon Financial Systems Lab Opens

Stevens opens a financial trading room as a classroom and laboratory to graduate and undergraduate students in Financial Engineering and Quantitative Finance courtesy of a gift from Stevens alumnus and Board of Trustees member John “Sean” J. Hanlon IV, CFP® ’80 (B.E. Mechanical Engineering). 

2013
Virginia Ruesterholz

Virginia Ruesterholz ‘83 Becomes First Woman Chair of the Board of Trustees

Virginia Ruesterholz ‘83 becomes first woman chair of the Stevens Board of Trustees. 

Stevens Named ECAC Institution of the Year for Second Time

The honor marked the second time Stevens earned the award, adding to its 2008 Institution of the Year award. 

2014
2014

Maritime Security Center Designated as a National Center of Excellence

Maritime Security Center was designated as a National Center of Excellence by the Department of Homeland Security. 

2014

Colonial House Renamed Ruesterholz Admissions Center

Colonial House (formerly Wittpenn House) renovated and renamed the Ruesterholz Admissions Center. Colonial House was previously used as faculty apartments in 1933.

Formation of the Student Managed Investment Fund

Formation of Student Investment Fund, a two-semester course within the undergraduate Quantitative Finance program at the School of Business that operates less like a typical class and more like a simulation of a career on Wall Street. 

2015
Solar Decathlon team celebrating their win
2015

Sure House Named 2015 Solar Decathlon Winner

Stevens wins the Solar Decathlon, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy, with the entry SURE HOUSE. The storm-resistant, energy-efficient house became a permanent exhibit at the Liberty Science Center in 2019. 

2015

School of Business Earns AACSB Accreditation

School of Business earns accreditation from The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.

Gladys Njoku '16 Places First in the High Jump at NCAA Championships

Gladys Njoku '16 places first in the high jump at the NCAA Division III Indoor National Championships. The New Jersey native became the first person in Stevens’ indoor track and field history to take home a national championship

2016
2016

Stevens Venture Center Opens

The center was created to serve as an incubator, providing space, equipment, mentorship, networking opportunities and other resources to students and recent graduates who have promising science and technology-oriented business ideas, and to faculty members whose research has commercial potential. 

People watching fireworks over the Hudson River

Stevens Launches Power of Stevens Campaign

The university launched a historic $150 million fundraising campaign to support student scholarships, infrastructure improvements, faculty recruitment and continued growth of a significant university research enterprise in critical areas. 

Professor and students looking a screens with data being presented.

The Hanlon Laboratory for Financial Analytics and Data Visualization Opens

With a generous gift from John J. “Sean” Hanlon IV ’80 and his wife, Cathy, Stevens opened the Hanlon Laboratory for Financial Analytics and Data Visualization,  a state-of-the-art facility that incorporates the visualization capabilities investors need to make better, faster choices to support portfolio health and the growth of the enterprise. 

ABS center

ABS Center Dedicated

ABS Engineering Center, a teaching and research facility that features flexible-use space designed to promote collaboration across multiple engineering disciplines, from robotics and building materials to maritime craft testing and green technology, opens on campus. 

2017
2017

StevensOnline Launched

StevensOnline launched -- formally offering 17 academic programs fully online. Today the program offers over 20 graduate degree programs and is consistently ranked among the nation's best by U.S News & World Report

Portrait of Jean Zu

Dr. Jean Zu Named First Woman Dean at Stevens

Dr. Jean Zu becomes first woman dean of the Charles V. Schafer, Jr. School of Engineering & Science. 

Construction of the North Building Completed

The three-story, 15,500-square foot building at the northern end of campus serves as an academic classroom and office building. Construction began in November 2016 and was completed in July 2017. 

Clark Scholars in Babbio

A. James Clark Scholars Program Established

With $15 Million endowment from the A. James and Alice B. Clark Foundation, Stevens launched the A. James Clark Scholars Program. 

President Nariman Farvardin; Congressman Donald M. Payne, Jr. D-NJ 10; Nate Davis, Executive Chairman of K12; Armando Rosa, Stevens Class of 2018; Shahid Malik, President of PSEG Energy Resources and Trade

Stevens ACES Program Launched

Stevens ACES (Accessing Careers in Engineering and Science) launches to provide enhanced opportunities, including financial support, for underserved students and those from underrepresented minority groups to pursue STEM degrees and careers.

2018

Beta Upsilon Chapter of Omega Phi Beta Sorority Established

Beta Upsilon chapter of Omega Phi Beta sorority is established at Stevens.

Nariman Farvardin and Marybeth Murphy cutting the ribbon.

Student Wellness Center Opens

The Wellness Center, housed in the renovated Pond House, is a one-stop wellness center for students, providing health services, counseling and psychological services, and disability support services under one roof. 

Nariman Farvardin at ACE Fidelity Awards

Stevens Receives ACE/Fidelity Investments Award For Institutional Transformation

The award recognizes institutions that have responded to higher education challenges in innovative and creative ways and achieved dramatic changes in a relatively brief period. 

Richard Harries leaning on a red car

Stevens Receives Historic Gift

Richard F. Harries '58 and his wife, Carol, made an extraordinarily generous bequest to Stevens that is among the largest gifts ever made by an individual to the university. The gift supports the University Center/Student Housing project, a new residence hall and student center scheduled to open in 2021-2022. 

SIAI OPENING

Stevens Institute for Artificial Intelligence (SIAI) Debuts

Led by founding director K.P. "Suba" Subbalakshmi, the technology-driven collaboration of more than 50 faculty members from all academic departments debuts at Stevens. 

2019
Gatehouse construction

Gatehouse Disassembled

To preserve the gatehouse during campus construction, the iconic structure was carefully deconstructed by a historic preservation architecture firm. The Gatehouse will makes its return to campus in 2021. 

Architectural rendering of the new university and housing center
2019

Stevens Begins Construction of Student Housing and University Center

The university begins construction of the Student Housing and University Center project. The three-story, 70,000-square-foot university center will include a fitness center, game room, spaces for student groups, dining venues, convenience store and more. The two residential towers will accommodate 994 students in single, double and suite-style apartments. 

Gateway Center

Gateway Academic Center Opens

The Gateway Academic Center, a $68 million, 89,500 square-foot, state-of-the-art teaching and research facility celebrated its grand opening. 

2020
Stevens 150 logo

Stevens Celebrates 150th Anniversary

Stevens celebrates 150 years of passion, purpose and growth with a year-long celebration that reflects on its history, community and the founding principles that continue to guide the university's direction.

Shop the 150th Celebration Store

Show your Stevens pride with 150th apparel, gifts and more!

The Power of Stevens

What starts here changes the future. That's the Power of Stevens.