Provost, Dean and Professor Luigi Pollara: A Vision for Public-Private Partnership at Stevens
A beloved professor, dean and provost for more than three decades, Luigi Zummo Pollara (1914-1994) helped shaped the Stevens we know today. Pollara stressed the importance of the humanities in Stevens' curriculum. He worked to create international programs that brought American technical education to developing nations. He helped launch the chemistry and chemical engineering departments and spurred graduate school expansion during a pivotal period. (Under his guidance, Stevens granted its first Ph.D. in 1959.)
Perhaps Pollara’s most significant legacy was his prescient idea to develop research in closer partnership with public agencies. The subsequent expansion of campus and academic programs was enabled by unprecedented levels of government, foundational and industry support (as well as individual gifts), and Pollara was one of those who first helped establish a successful model for cooperative industry-university research.
Today, his legacy continues in longstanding research relationships with the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, NSF and National Institutes of Health, among other agencies. It also lives on in the Office of Innovation and Entrepreneurship and in Stevens' technology transfer efforts.